Windows has a neat feature named Dynamic Lock, and with this enabled, you'll be able to walk away from your laptop or desktop PC and have it automatically lock. You can read the steps, or jump straight to our YouTube setup guide below!
You'll need to pair your smartphone (works fine with both Android and iPhones) via Bluetooth during the setup process - and this is a part of what makes it so good! Because it's proximity based you won't have your computer lock itself while you discuss the latest project with a college nearby.
The basic setup steps are:
Step 1: Pair your phone
- On your PC, go to Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices.
- Turn Bluetooth on with the toggle.
- Next, tap the "+" button for Add Bluetooth or another device.
- In the pop-up Add a device window, tap Bluetooth, then choose your device from the list that appears.
- Prompts should appear on both your PC and phone.
- Accept them to pair.
Step 2: Activate Dynamic Lock
- Go to Settings > Accounts and then tap sign-in options in the left panel.
- Scroll down to the Dynamic Lock section and check the box for "Allow Windows to automatically lock your device when you're away".
It's important to note that should someone jumps onto your laptop, before the proximity locks it, the PC won't lock itself - so you'll still want to do a manual lock if your keeping secrets :) If this is the case then WINDOWS KEY + L is the shortcut for an immediate lock.
Check out our video below showing exactly how to set this up, we hope this helps you to keep your device secure :) We'll keep our eyes peeled for more great ways to keep your computer safe and secure, and we'll continue to update with the latest!